It just keeps getting better !!
Academy of Country Music announced during its 2012 list of nominees that Church’s highly acclaimed, record-breaking, GRAMMY-nominated Album of the Year, CHIEF has been nominated for ACM “Album of the Year”. In addition, the Academy is also giving Church recognition and an ACM Video of the Year nom for “Homeboy”, CHIEF’s first single.
It’s been a while I think since an artist made a mark on country music quite the way “The Chief” did and Eric certainly has caught the attention of a lot of eyes and ears.
Just How Did This Happen . . .
The surprise began during Eric Church’s 2011 ACM Awards show debut of his hit “Smoke A Little Smoke” off his RIAA Certified Gold sophomore album, Carolina. Speculation followed that that was the start of incredible things to come for the EMI Records Nashville singer-songwriter. Oh and I’d say that was an understatement! Church amped up the crowd and the curiosity factor so high that when CHIEF finally emerged from a songwriting sabbatical in the Carolina hills, jaws dropped, sales soared and accolades hit like asteroids.
- debuted at #1 on Billboard’s 200 chart
- debuted at #1 on iTunes across all genres
- sold 145,000 copies the first week
- held the #1 spot for two weeks
- was certified Gold after only 10 weeks
- was given four-out-of-four stars by PEOPLE magazine . . . and
- had its first single “Homeboy” certified gold
- received his 1st ACM Award for New Solo Vocalist
- took the stage for his 1st CMA performance
- Eric received a GRAMMY nomination for “Best Country Album” for CHIEF
- Taste of Country nominated CHIEF for Album of the Year
- NPR Music named CHIEF one of their Top 50 Albums of 2011
- iTunes named Eric their 2011 Country Breakthrough Artist of the Year and featured CHIEF in their Best of 2011 section
- Amazon named CHIEF in the Top 10 of its Best Country Albums of 2011
- CHIEF landed at No. 19 on Rolling Stones Magazine’s list of the 50 Best Albums of 2011 . . . and
- Rob Harvilla’s SPIN list recognized CHIEF as one of the Top Albums of 2011
So I’d say it’s probably NO surprise that the Academy of Country Music took note by awarding Church his first industry-voted ACM Nomination for “Album of the Year” for CHIEF and “Video of the Year” for “Homeboy”. It just makes sense, doesn’t it!
So, what’s this hotter-than-hell Carolina charm got to say about all this commotion he’s stirred up?
“I’ve never minced words about the fact that my passion is making great records for the sake of the music,” says Church. “The fact that the ACM’s have nominated us for the album category is quite the honor and frankly the one I revere the most. “Homeboy,” both musically and visually, is a song that tells a compelling story. I have a very special place in my heart for the video, and I’m very grateful that it is getting recognized. It’s been one hell of a year!”
One hell of a year ! Indeed it has. But . . .
That Was Then. And Now . . .
Eric’s been burning up the road and firing up the crowds on his – oh, let’s say this together now – “first ever” Blood Sweat & Beers Headling Tour, spreading like wildfire and rising higher to megastar success. He set venue records in Southaven, MS with a record attendance for a show in that arena – beating a record previously set with his performance alongside Jason Aldean.
After witnessing his live show, the Los Angeles Times said, “Vehement… propelled further still by the voices of his fans singing along.” Followed by the Oakland Tribune who commented, “[Church is] arguably the hottest artist in country these days… this guy’s a major talent and soon to be one of country’s premier stars.”
And his fans, well, they have “absolutely, positively no doubt in their minds” that “Eric Church Rocks”.
Now, while we wait to catch up with Eric and the final decision during the Academy of Country Music Awards show, I’d suggest you try to catch up with Eric Church on The Blood Sweat & Beers Tour where fans can purchase a VIP Package (limited so hurry) and experience an up-close, exclusive backstage acoustic concert.
The Blood Sweat & Beers Tour includes special guest Brantley Gilbert and select stops include The Cadillac Black, Blackberry Smoke, Sonia Leigh, Jon Pardi and Drake White. Check out Eric’s Tour Schedule and grab your tickets to what’s already being hailed one of the best tours of 2012.
And be sure to tune in to the Academy of Country Music Awards where the ACM Awards winner for the Album of the Year and Video of The Year categories will be announced LIVE on CBS on Sunday, April 1 at 7 p.m. CT / 8 p.m. ET.